Saturday, August 19, 2006

Two-minute Ginger Pickle

Its been a really really long and hectic fortnight. I moved from my university to my new place of work....an exhausting and scary event. I relish the fact that I have attained a milestone and am moving on to another phase of my life.........but that doesnt mean that its not scary! I really like the new place where I am at......but I miss familiar faces , places and friends like crazy. Am back here to visit them all this weekend.......But once that craving got satisfied, another arose- I miss home! I want my mommy!

But since mommy can not be had right now, a close substitute is something she makes for me. Continuing my series about my favourite things that I am fed before I leave home for here.....here comes Two-minute ginger pickle! Super-simple and great to eat with ANY kind of food (I have even mixed it in pasta!).

Ingredients: Fresh Ginger, lime/lemon juice, salt, red chili pwd, green chillies (chopped fine)

1. Scrape the skin off the ginger. Trick: use a spoon! Saves precious ginger and juices.
2. Cut the ginger into small pieces. Can make them thin and long (juliennes) or small cubes....whatever you like.
3. Mix the cut ginger with chopped green chillies, salt, red chilli pwd and lemon juice. keep tasting and adjust these ingredients till to achieve a taste you like. Really, its that simple and that individualistic. Just remember that the main taste is that you ginger and lime. This can be eaten now and it tastes better and tastes better and better with time. Can be stored in the fridge for 10-14 days.
Variations: Can put in some white vinegar for an additional kick. Also, can do all this with julliennes of 'mooli' (horse radish).

Now that I am living on my own, I have discovered that I dont like cooking for myself! I am soooo used to cooking for at least 6-8 people that it seems pointless doing it for one. But I do know that I need to eat properly so I am hoping that this blog provides me the excuse to continue cooking and experimenting even on my own.
Ciao from the middle of the country.

No comments: